Sunday, March 20, 2011

Record Store Day approaches...

And I'm really gonna have to start conserving my leisure spending if I want to be a part of it. However, I have been able to make a couple trips out to the racks recently which yielded both new and old awesomeness.

First off,... no, first, OFF!
The boxed set of their first four 7" E.P.'s. Easily my pick for best new band 2010. Featuring Keith Morris (Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Buglite) Steve Shane McDonald (Red Kross), Mario Rubalcaba (Rocket From The Crypt), and Demitri Coats of Burning Brides.
I have been following the band since the release of their first 7", but never got my shit together to order any of them as they came out. A side effect of living in a city with a comfortable number of good record shops.

And that's where I found the boxed set, a block and a half away from my apartment. And at a mere $20.99, it's the best twenty bux I've spent in a long time.




Each 7" has cover art by Raymond Pettibon, best known for all the art he's done throughout the years for Black Flag and other SST releases. And with a download code, I've been spreading this shit around like syphilis. ("hey man, you gotta hear this!")  

They've got some video's on Youtube and from the looks of it, this show is gonna be a blast when they come here April 3rd. My buddy Paul summed up the way I feel about watching them in action, "Anytime I see someone ripping shit up on stage who's older than me, I take heart. That's more purely inspiring than most things actually."



I have new hope for the future. With most new punk bands making me wish I would have died young with fond memories, here come the old pro's to remind everyone how it's done. With more energy in one 50 second song than the entire last five years worth of what passes for "Punk Rock" now.

Moving on, I've finally obtained a very clean, original copy of "High Time" by the MC5. My love for this band grows deeper with every passing year. This seems to be the band I study the most lately. And to be perfectly honest, I've never really spent a lot of time listening to this one purely due to the fact that I never owned it.

And I fucking love it.

Pure and simple. I fully expect to wear this copy out. But considering how long it took me to find one this good, I may just by a nice 180 gram re-issue before I start burning through needles on this. Well worth the wait. And the $30.00.

In recent months, I've been kickin around bins for 60's garage punk and freakbeat stuff. An area I'm relatively new, but none the less increasingly attracted to.
My latest instalment is Beatrocket Records 1998 re-issue of "Intruducing The Sonics: Featuring The Witch And Psycho" (BR 114)


I'm quickly becoming consumed with this "new to me" 40+ year old genre, and am looking forward to my new subject in "Rock and Roll Home-Schooling".

Finally, I purchased Motorhead's latest, "The World Is Yours". What's most impressive about Motorhead, is not only are they legends who have been responsible for so many classic moments of Rock and Roll, not only is Lemmy a God, and just as old as one, not only are they STILL one of, if not the loudest and blistering live acts, (proven to me yet again last month) but they have continued to produce new material on a consistently regular basis.

And it seems to me that they have a trend of every three or so albums, they bring one that is filled with new classic songs. Not to say the the material that connects them is inferior, but "The World is Yours" has moments I haven't heard since "Sacrifice, then "Over Night Sensation", then, "We Are Motorhead", etc.

And this has been one of those moments. It's Motorhead, pure and simple. and it's damn good.

I'm out.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment